Hello Friends. Welcome to GUVI Blogs again. Today’s topic is about Campus interviews. Campus interview is an important part of your college days and certainly very important part of your career. It might also start to shape up the individual whom you will eventually become. So here are some tips on how to handle a campus interview.
- Don’t say I will start preparing tomorrow
- Prepare well
- Preparation is key to a campus interview. Research the internet before taking up the interview to find out the interview process of the company. Prepare accordingly. Learning is a key phase in preparation. The more you learn, the more you can be comfortable. That’s where a place like GUVI can really help you with learning and sharing.
- Company Research
- Research the company thoroughly. You would need to read the Wikipedia page of the company and also check them out in the latest news. By doing this, you will be able to understand both the history of the company and the CEOs and also know what they are doing recently.
- Be relaxed before the interview
- Assuming its 30 minutes before your slot is up. Be relaxed buddies. You don’t want to spoil your chances by being tensed, that’s a waste of time. Talk with your friends on the latest happenings; let it be Cricket or a movie or a actor/actress. Even Watch a comedy video if possible let’s say Vadivelu’s comedy or Mr. Bean’s comedy J but for God’s sake, please don’t read anything in the last moments.
- Be Confident
- One of the most important traits that interviewers will look for is “How confident the person is? Will he/she be able to handle tough situations with confidence?”. So be confident. Go with the attitude “This is not the only company in the world” and “If I can’t do it, no one can”.
- I can narrate a true incident in a campus interview, where one of my batch mates gave wrong answers to almost all the questions that was asked, but then he got selected by the interviewer. And the interviewer said that “Whatever you told was totally wrong, but you told even those with extremely high confidence, I am sure you will handle tough situations and you will learn the skills you will need”. That confidence got him a job and now he is very successful.
- Dress well and professionally
- You need to dress well in order to be seen as a good professional. It again depends on the company that you are applying for (or) rules of the college J, yes this happened to me. I was asked to put a tie for the interviews, even though company didn’t mandate that. Anyway dress according to what the situation demands.
- Make an impact with the “Tell me about yourself”
- First Impression is the Best Impression. And this is definitely true for an interview. So go and make an impact with it. Apart from the regular stuffs like family background, college history, achievements, etc, try to be innovative and stand out from the rest. Don’t be the regular penguin. Be different. How you do it is totally left upto you. This is a homework for you. Try listing out unique skills you have. It can be anything, but just list it out. Come up with a good “Tell me about yourself” that can stand out from the rest.
- Always maintain good eye contact & postures
- This is again very important. This shows a sign of confidence and can influence the interviewer’s decision by a good percentage. If there are more than one panelists, maintain eye contact equally even though only one person asked the question.
- Maintain your calm and always smile
- This is a sign of a thorough professional, always have a smiling face. Don’t go with a tensed face for the interview. And another important thing is maintain your calm, be cool always.
- Be ready for awkward (unexpected) questions
- This is when your calmness will actually help you to think very clearly. Often you will get questions which can catch you off-guard. At those times, don’t panic. Just be cool, think for a moment and start with an answer. Interviewers tend to check if you can handle unexpected situations like these effectively.
So that’s it friends. We have come to the end of this post. If you have any further questions, please mail us @ firstname.lastname@example.org . Also if you have any additional points please feel free to comment in the blog itself.
Thanks for reading. Share this to your friends if you like. Team GUVI signing off !!